PCB Piezotronics supports design, research, and development efforts with precision accelerometers* for the measurement of vibration, shock, acceleration, and motion. In addition to our miniature precision units, our rugged accelerometers are used for industrial machinery health monitoring for the evaluation of equipment and structural performance. Such applications usually require proof of calibration of the entire measurement system, from sensors to final output.
PCB provides ICP® (IEPE), PE, MEMS, and capacitance sensing technologies to satisfy these various measurement requirements.
*Accelerometers are sometimes referred to as "accels," "vibe sensors," or "vibe probes."
Key features of PCB accelerometers
PCB’s accelerometers are trusted by experts for their high-quality components, and feature:
- High stiffness, ruggedness and durability
- Wide dynamic ranges
- Fast rise times
- Versatile frequency ranges
- Consistent, repeatable results
Our calibration centers are accredited to ISO 17025, and each sensor shipped includes a calibration certificate traceable to NIST. A lifetime warranty and same-day shipping are standard with our platinum stock sensors program.
The most commonly used technology is ICP® (IEPE) accelerometers, which require ICP® power. (ICP® sensors can be referred to as IEPE or voltage mode output sensors, while PE sensors can be referred to as charge mode output sensors.) Most modern data acquisition, digital control, and portable data systems provide ICP® sensor power. Each directional axis measured requires one channel of the data system or signal conditioner.
Single-axis and three-axis (triaxial) accelerometer configurations include specifications on sensitivity, temperature, frequency response, amplitude response, form factor, and lead wire grounding.
Types of accelerometers
Each type of PCB accelerometer offers many models, each carefully designed to provide concise, application-specific measurements. If you are interested in a specific accelerometer type, check below to learn more and browse available models:
Accessories for accelerometers
PCB aims to accommodate your specific application requirements and offer a wide variety of accessories to simplify sensor mounting and removal. If you can’t find a required accessory on our site, be sure to contact one of our engineers and we will be happy to work with you directly.
Applications of accelerometers
PCB accelerometers are used in wide variety of research and development applications. This list, while not comprehensive, highlights some common uses. Contact an application engineer to discuss your specific testing requirements.
- General: biomechanics, component durability testing, drop testing, fatigue testing, HALT and HASS, impact detection, impulse responses, modal analysis, NVH studies, package testing, product qualification, quality control, vibration analysis, vibration isolation, vibration stress screening
- Aerospace: aerodynamic testing, combustion instability measurement, ESS, pyroshock
- Automotive: crash testing, gearbox monitoring, squeak and rattle
- Industrial: bearing analysis, machinery vibration monitoring
- Infrastructure: bridge monitoring, building vibration monitoring, ground vibration tests, structural testing, structure-borne noise
Choose PCB vibration sensors for your research & development needs
To discuss specific applications, please contact us at 1-800-828-8840 or request a quote.