Part Time Assistant Corporate Counsel
PCB Piezotronics, Inc. is a global leader in the manufacture of piezoelectric and strain gauge sensors, and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of MTS Systems Corporation, a publicly-traded company, the shares of which are traded on NASDAQ (Symbol: MTSC). The success of MTS and PCB is in our people. It is our philosophy to hire good people and support them in doing their job. The Company’s pleasant working conditions, world-class benefits package and opportunities for advancement create a spirit of enthusiasm that provides us with a competitive edge. We are currently growing and in need of a permanent Part-Time Assistant Corporate Counsel, to join our Legal Team in Depew, NY. It is anticipated that this will be a 20-25 hour per week position, working 4-5 days per week. The PCB Legal Department is responsible for handling the worldwide legal affairs for all of MTS Sensors, which encompasses both PCB’s business and MTS’s legacy sensor business.
The Assistant Corporate Counsel works with the three other attorneys in the Sensors Legal Department with respect to (i) planning and implementation relative to all legal compliance matters, including domestic and international laws, rules and regulations; (ii) developing and providing training to our organization and distribution network on legal matters relevant to Sensors’ business; (iii) helping to ensure the timely review, execution and administration of Sensors’ contractual commitments with its customers (domestic and international) in support of Company objectives; and (iv) providing support with respect to legal and contracting activities for Sensors’ ongoing and new business opportunities. This position will also work on specific projects and various day-to-day activities relating to the Sensors legal function and its ongoing business matters.
Attorney or Bar Eligible/Admission Pending with at least 2-4 years’ experience in a corporate law firm/department or in-house corporate legal department. Experience or knowledge of corporate and contract law is required.
J.D. with emphasis on corporate/commercial/contract law preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Promotes teamwork, cooperation and commitment to “Total Customer Satisfaction” among team members.
- Assist with all legal matters impacting Sensors’ business, including: (i) drafting and negotiation of commercial contracts, including, without limitation, international distributor agreements, non-disclosure agreements, terms and conditions of sale/purchase of goods and equipment, and various other contracts; (ii) legal compliance and regulatory matters; (iii) reviewing and assisting with management of intellectual property infringement issues; (iv) conducting due diligence and assisting with drafting and negotiation of merger and acquisition agreements and ancillary documentation; (v) working with outside legal counsel with respect to any projects/matters on which they are engaged by MTS/PCB and (vi) review, research and provide guidance to Sensors’ management relative to all governmental laws, rules and regulations impacting the Company.
- Assist Export Control and Contracts Manager with review of Sensors’ export compliance program and oversight of compliance with all laws and regulations concerning global trade, exports, imports and penalties of law concerning global trade, exports, imports and related matters that fall under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Government.
- Work with internal and outside legal counsel relative to any litigation and dispute resolution matters.
- Work to establish, implement and monitor contracts that support Sensors’ near and long-term business strategies, including aerospace and defense, GSA/ government, and other customer contracts.
- Assist with review and approval of customer and supplier sale and purchase contracts, balancing protection of the Company with achievement of the MTS Sensors’ operating plan, achieving Total Customer Satisfaction, and providing value to the business.
- Work to protect Sensors’ confidential and proprietary information and intellectual property interests by assisting with the drafting, review and negotiation of appropriate contract Terms and Conditions and Non-Disclosure and Proprietary Information Agreements, and by monitoring usage of company trademarks and copyrights by third parties.
- Help to ensure compliance with contractual obligations for price, delivery, quality and performance by reviewing bids, purchase orders and proposals to ensure that they meet company policy, legal requirements, and customer specifications.
- Help to ensure proper internal flow down of contractual obligations and requirements throughout Sensors and its suppliers.
- Respond to customer requests for representations and certifications, surveys and other requests for information.
- Assist with review of contractual rights and obligations and providing interpretation of terms and conditions.
- Represent PCB/MTS in all assigned matters with a high level of competence, professionalism, integrity and credibility.
- Review U.S. and international laws, rules and regulations and implement and monitor compliance with legal compliance program (including, without limitation, ITAR, EAR, REACH, WEE, CE Compliance, etc.).
- Help to ensure that customer-related transactions are conducted with appropriate levels of adequate control, review and approval as required by company procedure and/or applicable regulation or law.
- Assist with preparation, monitoring and maintaining customer and legal correspondence and documented records of all agreements and contract revisions.
- Research applicable laws and regulations and help to keep PCB/MTS abreast of any governmental requirements affecting contracts and agreements.
PCB Piezotronics, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/V/D